Established in 2007, DPO’s Thoughtful Awards recognize the essential roles that individuals, as well as both non-profit and for-profit organizations, play in establishing Door County’s character and ensuring its sustained health as a place to live, work and visit. The Awards recognize outstanding achievement in community planning, advocacy, real estate development, conservation, and community building, for example:
- the creation and successful implementation of an exceptional initiative that advances sound planning as part of a comprehensive community development strategy.
- an extraordinary effort to foster community dialogue on a significant issue affecting the quality of Door County’s natural and/or built environment.
- a for-profit organization for an exemplary real estate project undertaken in a sensitive manner, especially projects that might serve as inspirational and practical examples for others.
- valuable contributions made to conserve natural resources on private land and is awarded to an individual, family or organization whose actions contributed significantly to the long-term conservation and sustainable use of land in Door County, especially those initiatives which might serve as inspirational and practical examples for others
- an individual or individuals that have made a substantial and long-term contribution to ensuring thoughtful development in Door County.
Anyone may nominate a candidate for a Thoughtful Award. Thoughtful Awards are often named after eminent Door County stewards and include an expression of DPO’s thanks.